Friday, March 19, 2010

The Legends of Belize







Today was a BIG day! After Natalie and I woke up and went for a short run on the beach, we quickly got ready and put on our teacher clothes. We met up with the Isla Bonita girls at a restaurant on the beach called Estel's and ate a big piece of watermelon. After breakfast, we walked to the elementary school. The principal assigned each of us to a classroom. I was put into a sixth grade class, which I was extremely excited about. When I walked into the small classroom, I found out that I would be teaching an all boys class (10 boys) and working with three different teachers. All of the boys were really funny and I have a feeling I will be laughing a lot in that classroom. After the boys told me their names, the whole school went outside and had a short assembly, so the student teachers could introduce themselves to the children. The students in Belize are very respectful and I couldn't believe how well behaved they were during the assembly. The students went back into their classrooms, and when I walked in all of the boys said "hello Miss Jeanne!" My partnership teachers told me that I would be full time teaching on Monday. I will be teaching math, language arts, science, health, and social studies. In math I will be teaching percentages and ratios, in language arts the students will be writing a composition on San Pedro, and in science I will be teaching the germination and fermentation of plants. The best part of my student teaching here in Belize will probably be my sex education lessons. I will be teaching a class of sixth grade boys about sex and on Monday we will be discussing STDs. I felt a little overwhelmed after my teachers told me that I would be teaching all of the subjects on Monday, but I am ready for the challenge! The three teachers that I will be working with are very interesting people (I will tell you more about them next week). When I was done getting all my work and books for school on Monday, I met up with the group at Estel's again for lunch. People on the island are starting to realize that we are here to teach (not for spring break), and they are giving us discounts at some restaurants.

After spending some time in the sun, Natalie and I went back up to our room. We ran into Walter, the guy at Pedro's Inn who can fix any problem you have in your room at the hostel. Well, our ceiling fan didn't work, so we asked Walter if he could fix it. He came into our room and after five minutes of being there, he broke the wall, all of the lights, and the fan was ripped out of the wall. I loved how Walter reacted to this situation, it was no big deal and he said "oh well, things happen." Belizeans are so chill and laid back. Anyway, about an hour later there was a working ceiling fan in our room, and I was very impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment