Thursday, March 25, 2010

Sunlight + CO2 + Water + Chlorophyll

When the bell rang at school, the nine boys in my class stood at the front of the courtyard and the rest of the school lined up for an assembly. On Tuesday I taught the class about photosynthesis. One of my teachers briefly stopped into the classroom and asked me to teach a lesson on the process of photosynthesis. I asked one of the boys for their science book and turned to the section on photosynthesis. None of the boys in the class knew anything about the process. I glanced at the science book and ended up teaching an impressive lesson on photosynthesis. Anyway, I helped the boys make up a skit on photosynthesis and they performed it in front of the school at the assembly. They acted shy while performing the skit, but I was proud of them. All day Tuesday and Wednesday I taught the whole day by myself. The boys in my class worked on projects for most of the day. They had to finish making their maps of San Pedro and then we went to the computer room, so they could make brochures on HIV and AIDS. Most of them have never used the program Microsoft Publisher, so I had to help them a lot. The students worked on their brochures for over an hour and when they were done I found out the printer wasn’t working. I felt bad that they couldn’t print their brochures, especially since they were really excited about them. We went back to the classroom and each student made a flyer about HIV on a piece of construction paper. The health teacher at Isla Bonita needed a piece of work from each student for parent day on Friday.

After school, we walked back to Pedro’s and got ready for a birthday party that we were invited to. The party was for the dean of the Belize community college’s two- year-old son. There was a lot of food and loud music. I love all of the Belizean activities we do everyday. It’s been hard to blog because I am so busy every day and the internet doesn’t work very well at Pedro’s.


No comments:

Post a Comment