Sunday, April 11, 2010

A Day in San Ignacio

On Thursday, a group of us spent the day walking around the town of San Ignacio. The town is small and very quiet. It reminded me of the small towns that are in the mountains of North Carolina. Both San Pedro and San Ignacio are laid back places and are filled with friendly people. In San Pedro we are seen as teachers, and in San Ignacio we were seen as tourists. Since we didn’t spend time in the schools at San Ignacio, I’m not sure where I would prefer to teach. San Ignacio seemed poorer than San Pedro and everything in San Ignacio is cheaper. I love the mountains and everything that there is to do there, such as hiking, running and rock climbing. Since San Pedro is a small island, I don’t think there are a lot of different opportunities for the students. Also, San Pedro is a very expensive place. It seems like there is limited job opportunities in both places. I feel I would need to spend more time in San Ignacio and in its schools before I made a decision about where I would rather teach. However, I would love the chance to teach in San Ignacio and have that experience. I believe that teaching abroad anywhere can be a positive experience.





No comments:

Post a Comment